What is Methadone?
Methadone is a man made opioid typically used by drug rehabilitation centers to help patients through detox and recovery from addiction to opiates, such as heroin or cocaine. Although it’s occasionally prescribed as a painkiller, more often than not it serves to help break opiate addiction by tricking the brain into thinking the drug is already present in the body. When used according to doctor’s orders, methadone can be highly effective in helping people overcome heroin or cocaine addiction and remain sober for the rest of their lives.
Learn More About Methadone Addiction and How to Stop It
Unfortunately, misuse can develop into abuse and then addiction. Similar to any other drug addiction, methadone addiction can wreak havoc in your life or the life of a loved one. An intake counselor at Blue Water Detox can tell you more about methadone addiction in conjunction with the information provided below and help you take the first step toward stopping it.
- Signs & Symptoms of Methadone Addiction. Some of the signs of methadone addiction are similar to those of other prescription drug addictions. If your loved one has been going from one doctor to the next and lying about prescriptions, he or she is trying to get multiple refills. This is a clear indicator of addiction, as well as increasing dosage and frequency of use, combining methadone with alcohol or other drugs, or taking methadone along with another opiate, such as heroin.
- Consequences of Continued Abuse. Continually abusing methadone puts you or your loved one at-risk of many dangerous consequences, some of which can lead to death. Anxiety, restlessness and sleep problems are some of the milder side effects of continued use, as are diarrhea, nausea and lack of appetite. As methadone addiction continues it can lead to more serious side effects, such as respiratory difficulties, chest pains, hallucinations and swelling around the face, tongue and throat.
- Importance of Methadone Detox. At Blue Water Detox we help those addicted to methadone successfully work through the detoxification phase of treatment by easing or alleviating withdrawal symptoms. Attempting to quit methadone alone can develop into a life threatening situation. The professionals at Blue Water Detox ensure that your loved one is in a safe, relaxing environment while his or her body has the opportunity to become free of all traces of methadone.
- Learning to Live a Healthy Life. In addition to a safe, thorough detox phase, Blue Water Detox also teaches patients the important life skills needed to avoid a relapse into addiction. Surrounded by a luxurious setting, your loved one can enjoy spa-inspired services while regaining his or her health and learning to live life in a healthy, drug-free way.
- Maintaining Sobriety with Aftercare. It’s possible to maintain and enjoy a drug-free life, and the amount of effort put into aftercare can help you remain healthy, happy and whole. We want you to remain drug-free and are committed to providing the services needed to help you achieve that. A supportive, caring and sober network is vital to your sobriety and we can help you or your loved one establish this.
Obtain Help From Blue Water Detox
When you or a loved one recovers from one addiction only to succumb to another it can be disheartening and sad. Methadone addiction is a serious illness requiring professional and compassionate care. Contact Blue Water Detox by calling or filling out the form on this page today. Don’t wait another day to start the recovery process and regain hope for a life of health and happiness.