What you need to know about detox
Whenever an individual is about to undergo the drug detox process, they are typically entering the situation blind without knowing what to expect. Although they are totally focused on overcoming their addiction and completely recovering from it, they will usually go into the process uninformed unless they have spoken with a detox specialist before entering the program.
The following is a list of what you need to know regarding the drug detox process so that you are completely aware of what is ahead of you:
- Before you can enter the recovery stage of the addiction treatment and recovery process, you must go through detox first.
- Drug detox is only a process for ridding your body of the toxins the substance you were using has put into your system – it doesn’t work on its own without being followed up with counseling and aftercare.
- Due to the fact that no two individuals are alike, the length of time involved in the drug detox process will vary. It can take as little as 2 or 3 days or as long as a couple of weeks. It just depends on the individual and the severity of the addiction or dependency.
- For some individuals, detox does not work the first time and they will end up relapsing back into their addiction or dependency again. When this happens, they should undergo detox again as soon as possible.
- Out of respect for your privacy, drug detox programs will make every effort to keep the issue as confidential as possible so that your privacy is always protected.
- The detox stage is the most difficult and unpleasant stage of the entire addiction treatment and recovery process primarily due to the withdrawal symptoms that you will incur during this stage.
- You should be cared for, monitored, and supervised by medical personnel and never attempt to undergo the drug detox process on your own. Your safety could be at risk otherwise if you do not have medical supervision during this stage.
What you want to remember is that you are not going to be able to move forward into the recovery and aftercare stages without first completing the drug detox process.
Getting professional help is only a phone call away
If you or a loved one is suffering with a substance addiction or dependency issue and are searching for an effective drug detox process, Blue Water Detox can help you overcome your addiction so that you can eventually return home and live substance-free again. To speak with one of our caring staff members and addiction specialists, please call the toll-free phone number listed above.